Evelyn Rossi’s Old-Time Fudge
Long time Durham resident Evelyn Rossi started in the Durham Fair “Cookery Department” in the mid 1960's and became the Superintendent in the early 1970’s. She managed the change over to the “Baking Department” and implemented different categories, such as the "Just for Men" category which continues to this day. She served as Baking Department Superintendent until 1997. Evelyn continued to volunteer at the Fair in the Flower Department. The Durham Fair was always very special to her and remained very close to her heart.
2017 Baking Court of Honor Recipe.
|2||squares||(2 oz) unsweetened chocolate , cut up|
|1||tsp||light corn syrup|
- Butter the sides of a 2 quart saucepan
- Add sugar, milk, chocolate, and corn syrup
- Cook and stir over medium high heat until sugar dissolves and mixture comes to a boil
- Continue cooking over medium-low heat to 234 degrees (soft-ball stage), stirring frequently (Mixture should boil gently over the entire surface)
- Remove from heat, add butter and vanilla. DO NOT STIR
- Cool, without stirring to lukewarm, about 110 degrees, approximately 55 minutes
- Beat vigorously until fudge becomes very thick and just starts to lose its gloss.
- Immediately spread in a buttered 9x5x3 in loaf pan
- Score into squares while warm, cut when firm