Personal Skills – Baking
Connecticut’s largest confection collection! The Durham Fair Baking Competition yields the best in culinary creativity and craftsmanship with over 400 entries fresh out of Connecticut kitchens. Treat yourself to a tour of prize winning cookies, bars, decorated cakes, pies and quick breads, all competitively created for this coveted blue ribbon bake-off! Be sure to stop by our new Durham Fair Country Kitchen with expert demonstrations, tips, techniques and traditions for making award-winning pie crusts, brownies, breads and more!
New for 2019!
- Celebrate 100 years of the Durham Fair by creating a collection of 3 different baked goods representing the past 100 years of the Durham Fair, artfully displayed on a board, basket or tray no larger than 12". Entries will be judged on appearance and creativity, continuity of Durham Fair Heritage theme, Taste and Presentation.
- Decorated Cakes are back in the form of an 8" decorated round cake, celebrating 100 years of the Durham Fair. Entry must be displayed on a 12" round cake board, not exceed a height of 12", and must be completely edible (no Styrofoam etc).
- Cheese cake (9") with fruit topping
- Sweet Potato Pie
- King Arthur Flour is sponsoring 1916 Mallow Bars with additional prizes to include gift certificates.
- This year’s Court of Honor recipe is Heartwarming Gingerbread from the kitchen of Henry & Gramma Coe.
- Anything Coconut class to be judged live on Thursday at 6:00 pm.
- State Apple Pie & State Baking Contest
- Largest Baking Competition in Connecticut
- Over 400 entries on display
Court of Honor
The Court of Honor class honors local bakers by sharing one of their recipes for exhibitors to make and submit.
- 2019: Heartwarming Gingerbread
From the kitchen of Henry & Gramma Coe
Recipes from Previous Years:
- 2018: Apple Crisp
From the kitchen of Gwen Brayshaw
- 2017: Old Time Fudge
From the kitchen of Evelyn Rossi
- 2016: Banana Muffins
From the kitchen of Rosemarie Naples
- 2015: Wacky Cake
From the kitchen of Peg Atwell
- 2014: Red Velvet Cake
From the kitchen of Mary Baginski
- 2013: Danish Kransekage
From the kitchen of Beverly Pedersen
- 2012: Molasses Cookies
From the kitchen of Rosemary Allen Simmons
- 2011: Cocoa Marble Cake
From the kitchen of Celia Cekala