Celia Cekala’s Cocoa Marble Cake
2011 Baking Court of Honor Recipe.
We are honoring Celia Cekala who exhibited in our baking department for many years. She was featured in The Hartford Courant twice for winning in our department. She won first place for her apple pie when she was 76, and again at the age of 83, first place for her orange chiffon cake. She was a delight. She was very serious about her entries. We loved and enjoyed her involvement with our department. Her son David has continued his mothers tradition to enter in our department. We want to thank the Cekala family for selecting one of her favorite recipes for our exhibitors to bake. Celia's son David Cekala has offered a $50 prize for the best entry. We’ve invited the Cekala family to help us judge your entry.
Cocoa Marble Cake
|2½||cup||all purpose flour|
|⅓||cup||butter or margarine, softened|
|1⅔||cup||buttermilk or sour milk*|
- Combine flour, 1¾ cups sugar, 1 teaspoon baking soda, baking powder and salt in large mixer bowl.
- Add shortening, butter, eggs, buttermilk and vanilla; beat on medium speed 3 minutes.
- Combine cocoa, ⅓ cup sugar and ¼ teaspoon baking soda in small mixer bowl; Blend in water and ⅔ cup of vanilla batter.
- Pour remaining vanilla batter into greased and floured 9-cup Bundt pan. Spoon cocoa mixture on top; swirl with spatula or knife for marbled effect.
- Bake at 375° for 50 to 55 minutes until cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool 1 hour; remove from pan.
- Cool completely. Prepare Chocolate Glaze; spoon warm onto cake.
*To sour milk: Use 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons vinegar plus milk to equal 1 2/3 cups.
|1||Tbsp.||light corn syrup|
- Combine cocoa, water, light corn syrup and butter in small saucepan.
- Stir over medium-low heat until mixture thickens; remove from heat.
- Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until smooth and thickened.