Mary Baginski’s Red Velvet Cake
2014 Baking Court of Honor Recipe.
The 2014 Court of Honor recipient is Len Baginski, Durham Fair Treasurer. Len has devoted over 40 years in volunteer service to the Fair, serving as Treasurer a number of times and President from 1979 – 1999. Len shares his favorite dessert, his mother’s recipe for Red Velvet Cake.
Red Velvet Cake
|2||oz.||Durkee red food coloring|
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together:
- eggs, beat just until incorporated.
- Durkee red food coloring
- baking soda
|1||cup||powdered (confectons) sugar|
- Cook flour with milk on low heat until milk is thickened. Allow to cool.
- Cream butter and shortening in bowl of stand mixer. Add vanilla and confectioner's sugar.
- Mix 10 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Slowly add flour and milk mixture. Beat until incorporated.