Art, Dept. 20
Due to scheduled maintenance, the online entry system will be unavailable for part of the day beginning at 7:00 AM on Aug. 23, 2018.
2018 Entry Instructions
ONLINE ENTRY IS PREFERRED. To be an Exhibitor, click on the Online Entry link and follow the instructions. The alternate way to enter is to print out the offline entry form, fill it out, and mail it in according to the deadline outlined on the form and on the Entry Deadlines and Delivery Schedule page. (Please contact your Department if you are unable to print the entry form.)
Rules & Guidelines
- Exhibitor Requirements
- You must be 16 or over to enter.
- Amateurs only, please! You many not enter a class (#01 – #10) in which you earn money through employment, selling, teaching, etc.
- We encourage entering more than one class, but limit one entry per category (i.e., entering 01A and 01B is OK).
- Entry Requirements. All works MUST be:
- Completely original in composition and execution and not previously exhibited at the Durham Fair.
- Dry. No wet work will be accepted.
- Framed and wired for hanging (unless a sculpture). No standing frames. Wires must be firmly attached to the frame itself and NOT to the backing. No work hung by use of ribbon, string, tape, glue, glued tabs or tabs punched into cardboard will be accepted.
- Framed work must not exceed 24" x 36".
- When possible, a committee member will oversee the Art department during the Fair. The building is locked at night and security guards are on duty. However, the Fair is not responsible for any damaged or missing items.
- Item pick-up is Sun. from 7 – 8 pm and Mon. following the Fair from 5 – 7 pm. The Art Department is not responsible for items not picked up within these hours.
- Like the Durham Fair Art Department on Facebook to stay current with the department for updates and activities.
- All entries will be judged on their own merits, including those where there is no other competition in the category.
- Judges reserve the option to reclassify entries.
- Forgeries (Class #10C) will be judged on faithfulness to the original work.
Points will be awarded in the following categories:
- Elements of art: Color, space, form—up to 8 points.
- Creativity: Uniqueness, originality—up to 5 points.
- Technique: Use of media and tools—up to 7 points.
- Presentation: Appearance, framing—up to 3 points.
- 1st place ribbon: 18 – 23 points/$12 check
- 2nd place ribbon: 12 – 17 points/$10 check
- 3rd place ribbon: 7 – 11 points/$8 check
- Honorable Mention ribbon: 1 – 6 points
2018 Special Ribbons
- Best in Show Rosettes for best (1) Painting and (2) Drawing from any category; (3) Other Media (2-D or 3-D Mixed Media, Print-making, Sculpture).
- Judges' Special Rosettes: to acknowledge excellence.
- Inspiration Rosettes to acknowledge excellence for Class #10 categories (Eco-Art, Humor in Art, Forgeries, Cats, Miniatures, Zendoodles, “100”).
- Senior Special Rosette for Class #8.
- People’s Choice Rosette for Friday, Saturday, Sunday.
TABLE OF CATEGORIES
|Class Code & Name||$ Prize Amount|
|02D||Pen and Ink||12||10||8|
|03C||Single flower, plant or tree||12||10||8|
|05A||Please list technique on entry form||12||10||8|
|07A||Art executed when age 75 years or older||12||10||8|
|08A||Must be 3D, no kits or purchased greenware||12||10||8|
|Special Categories for 2018, any medium||1st||2nd||3rd|
|10A||Eco-Art: Scrap metal cans and parts, leaves, plastic junk, or fabric scraps. Take what you find in nature and recycle or make something beautiful, interesting, wonderful! Must be your own idea and creation from found/recycled materials.||12||10||8|
|10B||Humor in art: For example, a parody of another work of art, trompe l’oeil piece, or other humorous content.||12||10||8|
|10C||Forgeries: a) Works may NOT be the same size as the original. b) Works may NOT be computer generated. c) Please attach a photograph of the original work to the front of the submission. Include the artist’s name and title of the piece.||12||10||8|
|10D||Dogs: Any medium or style.||12||10||8|
|10E||Miniatures: Any medium, not to exceed 3” x 3” x 5” (not including frame).||12||10||8|
|10F||Words: Any medium, anything to do with words: hand-lettered quotes, book art, images of books, etc.||12||10||8|
- MaryLou Shoemaker
P.O. Box 225, Art Dept.
Durham, CT 06422
- C. Tracy Camassar
- Jason Camassar
- Lisa Alonso
- Suzy Jorsey Balay
- Chris Balay
- Hanna Balay
- Joel Camassar
- Anne Doyle
- Jack Doyle
- Roger Engle
- Jim Horbock
- Nanci Horbock
- Abby LaVigne
- Chris LaVigne
- Kendra Pashley
- Dan Shoemaker
- Betsy Titus
- Jeremy Titus