Christmas Trees & Wreaths, Dept. 15
Christmas Trees & Wreaths
2023 Entry Instructions
ONLINE ENTRY IS PREFERRED. To be an Exhibitor, click on the Online Entry link and follow the instructions. The alternate way to enter is to print out the offline entry form, fill it out, and mail it in according to the deadline outlined on the form and on the Entry Deadlines and Delivery Schedule page. (Please contact your Department if you are unable to print the entry form.)
- Exhibitors may enter a total of 3 trees but, not more than 1 tree in each category (1 pine, 1 spruce and 1 fir).
- Trees not meeting these 5 minimum standards will be disqualified:
- No Flocked, sprayed or colored Christmas Trees.
- Once all Christmas Trees have been entered, they must not be handled in any way by the exhibitor.
- Trees entered for prize money must have a waterproof shipping tag attached to the top of the tree with the name and address of the exhibitor thereon.
- Trees entered in competition must be between 6 and 9 ft. in overall length from the tip of the leader to the bottom of the butt, must be fresh and must be of merchantable quality.
- Tree handles must be properly trimmed and handles should be 6 – 9”.
- Exhibits will be numbered for competitions, and names of exhibitors will be displayed only after judging is complete.
- Judging of Christmas Trees will be on Thursday, the first day of the Fair, prior to the start of the Fair.
- Each exhibitor may enter 1 wreath in each class.
- Exhibitors may enter all classes.
- Exhibitor name and address must be securely attached but will not be visible during judging.
- Fresh cut greens are to be used as the foliage in all classes.
- No endangered or invasive species allowed.
- All entries must be ready for hanging.
Standards for Judging Christmas Trees (point deductions)
- Taper (10)
- Handle (20)
- Main Stem (20)
- Top (25)
- Foliage (50)
- Damage (30)
- Cleanliness (10)
- Other defects (5 each)
Standards for Judging Wreaths Class 1, 2 and 4
- Freshness of foliage: 0 – 20 points
- Color of foliage: 0 – 20 points
- Workmanship: 0 – 20 points
- Overall appearance: 0 – 20 points
- Originality: 0 – 10 points
- Arrangements of decoration: 0 – 10 points
Standards for Judging Wreaths Class 3
- Freshness of foliage: 0 – 25 points
- Color of foliage: 0 – 25 points
- Workmanship: 0 – 25 points
- Overall appearance: 0 – 25 points
- 1st: Blue Ribbon & $80
- 2nd: Red Ribbon & $70
- 3rd: Yellow Ribbon & $65
- 4th: Green Ribbon & $60
- 5th: Pink Ribbon & $55
- 6th: White Ribbon & $50
- Grand Champion: Rosette & $40
- Reserve Champion: Rosette & $30
- People’s Choice: Rosette
- 1st: Blue Ribbon & $15
- 2nd: Red Ribbon & $12
- 3rd: Yellow Ribbon & $8
- Best in Show: Rosette & $25
TABLE OF CATEGORIES
|Class Code & Name||$ Prize Amount|
|Christmas Tree Competition||(see above)|
|Christmas Wreaths||(see above)|
|01||Decorated natural: traditional round 12" ring, may have bow and natural decoration|
|02||Decorated artificial: traditional round 12" ring, may have bow and artificial decoration|
|03||Undecorated: traditional round 12" ring, greens only, no berries, no cones or no other attached growth|
|04||Freeform: any shape, any size, any decoration|
- Josh Miller
28 School House Lane
Durham, CT 06422
- Tim Dumas
- Warren Herzig
- Dave Jorsey
- Diane Jorsey
- Melissa Keating
- Kathy Kogut
- Alicia Miller
- Robert Miller
- Joe Wettemann