Giant Pumpkins, Dept. 29
2019 Entry Instructions
ONLINE ENTRY IS PREFERRED. To be an Exhibitor, click on the Online Entry link and follow the instructions. The alternate way to enter is to print out the offline entry form, fill it out, and mail it in according to the deadline outlined on the form and on the Entry Deadlines and Delivery Schedule page. (Please contact your Department if you are unable to print the entry form.)
- Entry must be grown by the exhibitor, and only 1 official entry per class per exhibitor is allowed. Other entries brought by the exhibitor will be considered as exhibition and will be officially weighed and exhibited, but not eligible for prize money or awards.
- Exhibit of pumpkins and squash 100 lbs. and over is encouraged, but all are welcome.
- The grower of the pumpkin that is entered MUST be present at the weigh in for an official weight. If the grower is not present, the pumpkin will be weighed as an unofficial weight but will not be eligible for a prize.
- In order to receive prize money, your entry must remain intact and on display for the duration of the Fair (9 p.m. Wed. to 7 p.m. Sun.). Pumpkins of all colors are eligible for prize money, and ties will be broken based on appearance. If, however, the entry is deemed to be 100% gray/green in color, the entry will be titled as a squash, but will still be eligible for prize money and a ribbon as stated above, since the placing is based on weight.
- All entries (unless easily moved by 2 people) must be on a pallet to facilitate the unloading process. All entries must be healthy and must be free of rot, holes/cracks that go through to the cavity, chemical or fungicide residue and serious soft spots. No previously weighed fruit may be considered as competition. All entries will be judged before being weighed in, and the judge’s decision is final. Other GPC (Great Pumpkin Commonwealth) entries will be accepted following the official GPC rules as listed on greatpumpkincommonwealth.com.
- All exhibits should be picked up anytime during the day on the Monday following the Fair; if needed, forklift assistance will be available from 4 –7:30 p.m. If exhibits are not picked up by 7:30 p.m., and contact (a phone call) has not been made to the Superintendent, the entries become property of the Fair.
TABLE OF CATEGORIES
|Class Code & Name||$ Prize Amount|
1st: $2,000 | 2nd: $1,500 | 3rd: $750 | 4th: $500 | 5th: $400 | 6th: $300 | 7th: $200 | 8th: $175 | 9th: $150 | 10th: $100
- Howard Dill Award for prettiest Atlantic Giant Pumpkin: $100
- All Green Atlantic Giant Squash: $100
- Connecticut State Record Pumpkin: $500
- Ryan Cleveland
- Chelsea Cleveland
- Eric Ambler
- Dan Auburn
- Lloyd Blair
- Sue Blair
- Ken Desrosiers
- Rich Manley
- Bart Toftness
- Michael Toftness