Youth, Dept. 26: State Junior Contests
State Junior Contests
Online entry will be available this summer. Check back soon.
2021 Entry Instructions
ONLINE ENTRY IS REQUIRED. To be an Exhibitor, you must click on the Online Entry link and follow the instructions. Entry deadlines are listed on the Entry Deadlines and Delivery Schedule page.
It is the exhibitor’s responsibility to read all descriptions and instructions carefully.
The Youth Department includes:
- Youth Tiny Tykes Division (Ages 3 – 4)
- Youth Children Division (Ages 5 – 13)
- Youth Junior Division (Ages 14 – 17)
- Youth Group Entries (Ages 5 – 17)
- State Junior Contests (Ages 7 – 15 for Baking, 7 – 17 for Quilt)
Tiny Tykes Division: Exhibitors must be at least 3 years of age as of Sept. 1, but not yet 5 years of age as of Oct. 1. They may enter in classes YT01 – YT06. The children must have had a major part in the planning and preparation of their entry. Any project that has had adult supervision should include a brief statement on a 3 x 5” card stating what help was given and what part the child did. There are no premiums for this Division, only ribbons.
Children Division: Exhibitors must be at least 5 years of age as of Sept. 1, but not yet 14 years of age as of Oct. 1. They may enter in classes Y1-Y124. The children must have had a major part in the planning and preparation of their entry. Any project that has had adult supervision should include a brief statement on a 3 x 5" card stating what help was given and what part the child did.
Junior Division: Exhibitors must be at least 14 years of age, but not yet 18 years of age as of Oct. 1. They may enter in classes J130 – J209.
Special Needs: We welcome exhibits by special needs youth. They are eligible for all classes. If appropriate, the child’s exhibit can be displayed in a multiclass unit, using the Danish judging system but with no age consideration. All exhibit tickets will be uniform throughout the Department (no notation of special needs). Parent, teacher or adviser, please write special needs on the entry and we can discuss display.
Other Department Rules
- Please remember to enter crafts, veggies, etc. under YOUTH and not under the adult sections. Also, enter using child’s name (NOT ADULT) and date of birth & age.
- Only 1 entry per exhibitor per class will be accepted and only those classes listed will be judged. However, the Superintendent reserves the right to expand or delete classes if the need arises.
- Exhibits that have previously won a prize at the Durham Fair are not eligible for judging.
- Judging for the Department will be on the Danish System (all exhibits judged on their own merits and not in competition with other entries).
- All exhibits must remain in place until 7 PM on Sun. to be eligible for awards. Exhibits may be removed on Sun. between 7 and 8 PM or on Mon. following the Fair between 11 AM and 7 PM. Any exhibits not removed by 7 PM Mon. will become property of the Fair.
TABLE OF CATEGORIES
|Class Code & Name||$ Prize Amount|
|YJ 01||2021 State Junior Baking Contest (Ages 7 – 15): Molasses Cornbread||5.00||4.25||3.50|
|YJ 02||2021 State Junior Quilt Contest (Ages 7 – 17): Wall Hanging||5.00||4.25||3.50|
Sponsored by The Association of Connecticut Fairs.
The Junior Baking Contest is open to Juniors between the ages of 7 and 15 as of July 1. There will be 1 group for both local and state contests.
A first place blue ribbon will be awarded to the winning entry. In the event the first place winner will not compete at the state contest, the second place winner will be allowed to represent the fair. It is the responsibility of the local fair to contact their contest winner with information about the state contest or visit www.ctfairs.org for the date and location.
For the recipe and additional State Contest information, visit the Association of Connecticut Fairs Baking Contests.
The Junior Quilt Contest is open to Juniors between the ages of 7 and 17.
For specific Junior Quilt Contest rules and additional State Contest information, visit the Association of Connecticut Fairs Quilt Contest.
- Kathy Ness
- Patty McDermott,
- Madeline Smith
- Jennie McDermott
Computer Data Services
- Paula Bedding
- Aggie Cahill
- Ed Carella
- Elaine Diaz
- Ryan Ford
- Jennifer Fowler
- Wendy Gibbs
- Sandy Goodyear
- Robin Heath
- Simone Howe
- Barbara Johnson
- Thomas M. Kannam
- Claudia Kehrhahn
- Mark Kehrhahn
- Patti Kemish
- Trevor Kemish
- Heather McCutchen
- Brian McDermott
- Patrick McDermott
- Raymond McDermott
- Joan Mantle
- Lisa Moore
- Ken Ness
- Donna Nordstrom
- Karen Stackpole
- Sue Strang
- Kelly Szwaja