Youth, Dept. 26: Tiny Tykes (Ages 3 – 4)
Youth Tiny Tykes
2018 Entry Instructions
IMPORTANT CORRECTION: Youth Tiny Tykes delivery dates were WRONG on the mailed postcard. Please check the Entry Deadlines and Delivery Schedule page for the correct dates.
ONLINE ENTRY IS REQUIRED. To be an Exhibitor, you must click on the Online Entry link and follow the instructions. Entry deadlines are listed on the Entry Deadlines and Delivery Schedule page.
It is the exhibitor’s responsibility to read all descriptions and instructions carefully.
The Youth Department includes:
- Youth Tiny Tykes Division (Ages 3 – 4)
- Youth Children Division (Ages 5 – 13)
- Youth Junior Division (Ages 14 – 17)
- Youth Group Entries (Ages 5 – 17)
- State Junior Contests (Ages 7 – 15 for Baking, 7 – 17 for Quilt)
Tiny Tykes Division: Exhibitors must be at least 3 years of age as of Sept. 1, but not yet 5 years of age as of Oct. 1. They may enter in classes YT01 – YT04. The children must have had a major part in the planning and preparation of their entry. Any project that has had adult supervision should include a brief statement on a 3 x 5” card stating what help was given and what part the child did. There are no premiums for this Division, only ribbons.
Children Division: Exhibitors must be at least 5 years of age as of Sept. 1, but not yet 14 years of age as of Oct. 1. They may enter in classes Y1 – Y124. The children must have had a major part in the planning and preparation of their entry. Any project that has had adult supervision should include a brief statement on a 3 x 5” card stating what help was given and what part the child did.
Junior Division: Exhibitors must be at least 14 years of age, but not yet 18 years of age as of Oct. 1. They may enter in classes J130 – J208.
Special Needs: We welcome exhibits by special needs youth. They are eligible for all classes. If appropriate, the child’s exhibit can be displayed in a multiclass unit, using the Danish judging system but with no age consideration. All exhibit tickets will be uniform throughout the Department (no notation of special needs). Parent, teacher or adviser, please write special needs on the entry and we can discuss display.
Other Department Rules
- Please remember to enter crafts, veggies, etc. under YOUTH and not under the adult sections. Also, enter using child’s name (NOT ADULT) and date of birth & age.
- Only 1 entry per exhibitor per class will be accepted and only those classes listed will be judged. However, the Superintendent reserves the right to expand or delete classes if the need arises.
- Exhibits that have previously won a prize at the Durham Fair are not eligible for judging.
- Judging for the Department will be on the Danish System (all exhibits judged on their own merits and not in competition with other entries).
- All exhibits must remain in place until 7 p.m. on Sun. to be eligible for awards. Exhibits may be removed on Sun. between 7 and 8 p.m. or on Mon. following the Fair between 5 and 7 p.m. Any exhibits not removed by 7 p.m. Mon. will become property of the Fair.
TABLE OF CATEGORIES
|Class Code & Name||Prize|
|Please note that no premiums will be awarded, only ribbons.||1st||2nd||3rd|
|YT01||Sunflower: cut fresh (do not dry)||Ribbon|
|YT02||Pumpkin (no Big Max or Giant)||Ribbon|
|YT03||Pie crust pinwheels: (must use recipe below) (4 pieces on paper plate in zip lock bag & labeled) This is one category where we encourage children to work with parents.||Ribbon|
|YT04||Finger painting: Must be on poster board with paper-punched holes on top corners for hanging. Size not to exceed 24x30." Paint must be dry at time of entry.||Ribbon|
Pie Crust Pinwheels
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On a floured surface, roll out pie crust into an approximate 12 x 8" rectangle.
- Sprinkle all over with sugar and cinnamon.
- Starting at short end, roll crust until you have a tightly rolled log.
- Slice into 1" wide cookies.
- Place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 8 – 10 minutes, until pie crust is cooked, but slightly underdone.
- Let rest on baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Submit 4 pinwheels on a paper plate in a zip lock bag. Make sure labeled.
- Kathy Ness
- Patty McDermott,
- Madeline Smith
- Paula Bedding
- Aggie Cahill
- Elaine Diaz
- Ryan Ford
- Jennifer Fowler
- Jan Frank
- Sandy Goodyear
- Robin Heath
- Simone Howe
- Barbara Johnson
- Claudia Kehrhahn
- Patti Kemish
- Trevor Kemish
- Mary Lavado
- Brian McDermott
- Jennie McDermott
- Patrick McDermott
- Raymond McDermott
- Joan Mantle
- Lisa Moore
- Ken Ness
- Donna Nordstrom
- Sue Strang
- Kelly Szwaja