Personal Skills – Art
For those who enjoy a more creative outlet to express themselves, the Durham Fair has a variety of exhibitor categories to showcase their artistic talents. Come and enjoy each work of art, from traditional sculptures and paintings to New Age mixed media and computer generated graphics. With fun activities for the whole family including an “art detective” scavenger hunt for the kids and artist demos for the adults, you’re sure to find a masterpiece to make the Fair even more memorable.
General categories include:
- Painting (oil, acrylic, watercolor)
- Drawing (pencil, colored pencil, pastel, pen & ink, charcoal, etc.)
- Portraits of people, flowers, trees
- Landscapes and Seascapes
- Farm Scenes and Still Lifes
- Mixed Media (2- or 3 dimensions)
- Eco-Art (using recycled materials)
- Humor in Art
- Folk Art (any medium)
- Art produced when 75 years or older
Special Categories for 2018 include:
- Humor in Art
Get updates from the Art Department:
Kindness Rocks Instagram Contest
Throughout the fairgrounds, we will have 50+ hidden painted rocks that have either inspirational quotes or beautiful designs on them. Post pictures to win prizes!
- Post a selfie with a rock & use the hashtag #DurhamFairArtRocks
- Replace the rock in the same spot for others to find
- Post 1 pic for a small prize, 5+ pics for a bigger prize
- Collect your prize at the Art Dept / Creative Arts Building
- A special prize will be awarded to the person with the most posts by 4 PM on 9/30/18
- HAVE FUN!
2018 Demo Artists
Check back in August to see the list of 2019 Demo Artists. All demonstrations are located in the Art Department on the upper fairgrounds in the Creative Arts Building and are free of charge.
Friday 9/28, 3:30 – 4:30 PM
A tattoo artist who is also a classically trained illustrator and fine artist, Cindy will be demonstrating her techniques in watercolor and watercolor tattoos.
Sunday 9/29, 12:30 – 1:30 PM
A teacher at North Haven Middle school, Betsy has been featured in an article on art journaling in Flow magazine (2011) and has artwork published in A World of Artists Journal Pages (2015) and in Portrait Revolution (2017).
Betsy will be leading demonstrations on portraits with lettering.
Saturday 9/29, 5 – 6 PM
Sunday 9/30, 2 – 3 PM
Laura will be demonstrating the art of black and white pencil portraits.
Be an Art Detective:
Play our Eyeball Benders game and win a special detective badge.